Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thinking It Through Could Be Wise For Some

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
Allan H. (Bud) Selig, Commissioner
245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor
New York, NY 10167
(212) 931-3800

Dear Mr. Commissioner:

Sometimes, knee-jerk reactions will get you out of a bind. Sometimes, they’re bad decisions later regretted. In perusing the newspapers and the Internets today, I came across the untimely phrase “lifetime ban” in reference to the Michael Vick (Editor's Note: Sweet Site and song, Oogs) proceedings. Those terms have such an ugly sound when put together. Now, nobody’s used that phrase as any part of any official ruling, but I think your NFL counterpart is juggling the thought of it as I write.

The tease of this phrase comes attached to of course the murdering of dogs, but heavily coupled with the gambling allegations associated with Bad Newz Kennels. Or is it Bad News Kennelz? I can’t remember. Granted, I don’t condone either of these activities. I find it peculiar, however, that the NFL has always been in favor of letting due justice play its role before making a statement on anything, and that seemed to be congruent with this case in the beginning. Rog’ did make an exception with Adam Jones based on his multiple offenses. And rightfully so. He seems to be eager to do that with Vick now, and, if I were you, I would caution him.

We wouldn’t want a commissioner of any professional coughcoughGiamatti leagues to make any hasty decisions coughcoughA.Bartlett regarding the entire future of one lone athlete coughcoughVincent. I find it’s always best to weigh everything and make wise, informed decisions that will be respected for generations to come. I suppose, though, if one were to make a rash decision, one would always have faith in one’s successors to right one’s wrongs coughcoughHere’sWhereYouComeIncoughcough.

One would hope that might happen for one Peter Edward Rose. He deserves to be in. Some time ago.

No comments: