Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Reading Time

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
Allan H. (Bud) Selig, Commissioner
245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor
New York, NY 10167
(212) 931-3800

Dear Mr. Commissioner:

I’ve got some reading to do. Until this point, I’ve done nothing but offer my opinion and comparisons to sports-related stories regarding Pete Rose’s lifetime ban from baseball. Yesterday, I discovered a plethora of stories on USAToday.com. They’re all listed under the tagline of “Rose and Gambling.” They all discuss actions that’ve taken place in regard to Rose’s efforts to get back into baseball.

They also have something else in common. They’re all dated 2002.

What happened? These pieces are loaded with hints and suggestions that you were once considering liftage. No new developments?

I find that slightly difficult to believe and am curious to know what they might be, if in fact there are any. These articles suggest that there is still a significant split amongst those that feel Rose should be re-instated, those that do not, and those that have an opinion, with sub-opinions attached to them.

That said, I have large piles of texts to scour, my feeling unchanged regarding Pete Rose’s still-deserving place in baseball’s hall. Let’s make like 2002 and start the wheels of unbanishment rolling once more.

No comments: