Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Clemens, Jeter, A-Rod, No Rose? C'mon...

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
Allan H. (Bud) Selig, Commissioner
245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor
New York, NY 10167
(212) 931-3800

Dear Mr. Commissioner:

I didn’t have high hopes for the debut game of the current Yankees/Royals series here in Kansas City. I did, however, have hopes. I hoped that the Royals, hot off their successful road trip, might make a decent effort out of the Clemens/Perez pitching matchup that kicked things off last night. And you know, they didn’t do half bad. Granted, Perez had a rough start and we fell down 4-0, but we were able to keep them at four runs for seven innings beyond that while chipping away at their lead with a couple of runs of their own.




It wasn’t until the ninth that the Bombers blew it open, the final 9-2. This of course, is unlike the way our bullpen has performed of late, but frustrating nonetheless. I admit that they’re the hottest team in baseball right now, and your boy Alex Rodriguez is tearing up the diamond everywhere he goes. Naturally, his up-the-middle base hit really turned things for the worst in the ninth, the dagger in the heart if you will.




I can tolerate the massive payroll, unlimited talent and gargantuanly obnoxious fanbase that comes with the Yankees. I don’t like it, but I can tolerate it. Hell, I have for this long, and we’ve managed to beat them on occasion; we even swept ‘em here year before last. Those were good times. Anyway, what I can’t tolerate are the decent, better-than-average members of their roster that will someday grace the halls of a Pete-Roseless Cooperstown. Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter…how can all of these names be granted permission prior to Rose?





It’s an outrage, I tell you, a situation that must be tended to. I hope that you can at least share the vision I have of Rose linking some of these player generations in baseball’s hall of fame.

No comments: